Mini Chicken Sausage, Pepper and Onion Sammies
Rachael makes this as part of the prom feast for a school devastated by a tornado in Alabama.
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 unflavored chicken sausages
- 4 hot dog buns, ends sliced of and cut in half to make 2 mini buns
- 2 slices provolone cheese, or shredded
Yields: 8 mini sandwiches
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 3 tablespoons EVOO. Add the red and green bell peppers and onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle the pepper mixture with some flour and stir to combine. Add balsamic vinegar and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
While the pepper and onion mixture is cooking, place a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat and add remaining tablespoon of EVOO. Cook sausages about 4 minutes per side or until brown, crispy and cooked through.
Place the hot dog buns on a baking sheet, top one half with a slice of cheese and toast. Place a sausage on the bun and top with the pepper and onion mixture.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook