This vegetarian-friendly dish is a great alternative to beef stroganoff!
- 1 small pouch dried porcini mushrooms, a handful
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups water
- About 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 portabella mushroom caps, wiped clean and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped thyme
- 2 round tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or Marsala
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle or other egg noodles
- Finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or sour cream
- A few grates of nutmeg
Yields: Serves 4
In a small pot, steep dried mushrooms and bay leaves in water. Bring to boil then lower heat to keep water at quiet simmer.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta or egg noodles.
Meanwhile, heat EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add about 3 tablespoons of butter and melt into oil. Add mushrooms and cook to deep brown, about 10-12 minutes. Add salt, pepper, shallots, garlic and thyme, stir about 3 minutes more. Sprinkle flour over the pan then deglaze with sherry or Marsala.
Remove reconstituted mushrooms and bay from stock with a slotted spoon, discarding the bay leaves. Chop mushrooms and add to pan. Add stock, reserving the last few spoonfuls of liquid where grit may have settled.
Let the sauce thicken a few minutes while the pasta or egg noodles cook to al dente. Drain noodles and toss with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and parsley.
Stir cream or sour cream into sauce and add a little nutmeg, to taste. Adjust salt and pepper, and serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook