Onion Soup with Cider and Cheddar Croutons
Try Rach's affordable take on Onion Soup!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic drizzle, optional
- 2 cups cloudy apple cider or 1 bottle of hard cider
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 baguette, cut into 12 slices about 1 1/2-inches thick
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp white cheddar
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
Yields: Serves 4
Preheat oven to 325˚F.
Heat a soup pot over medium to medium-high heat. Melt butter and add onions, bay, ground thyme, salt and pepper. Cook onions until very soft and light caramel in color, 20 minutes.
Add apples, stir to combine and cook 10 minutes more. Stir in balsamic drizzle, if using, add cider and stock. Bring to a boil and let reduce, about 10 minutes.
For the croutons, in a small saucepot, heat EVOO with hot sauce and crushed garlic clove. Let oil infuse a couple of minutes then brush the bread slices. Arrange slices on a cooling rack set over baking sheet and bake until crisp, 5-6 minutes. Top toast with mounds of cheese and a sprinkle of fresh thyme. Bake 2 minutes more to melt the cheese.
Serve soup in bowls topped with 3 croutons each.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook