Paprika Chicken Stew with Potato Pierogies
This is a great meal for a family because the longer it sits, the better it gets! Leave the stew on the stovetop with the lid on and brown up the pierogies right before serving.
Watch Rachael make it with the Roloffs from TLC's Little People, Big World.
- 1/2 pound (about half of a package) smoky, good-quality bacon, chopped into half-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided, plus some for coating the pierogies
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs, cut into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
- 2 rounded tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 24 potato pierogies (if unavailable, serve over buttered egg noodles)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Yields: 6 servings
Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring up to a boil for the pierogies.
Place a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the bacon and cook until brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, add to the pot with the bacon and brown all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onions, carrots and garlic, paprika, cumin, marjoram and bay leaves, and cook for about 4-5 minutes, until the veggies are tender. Make a well in the middle of the pan and add 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Add the flour to the EVOO and mix to form a paste.
Add the white wine, scraping up all of the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock and tomatoes, and cook for about 20 minutes until the stew has thickened.
While the stew is cooking, cook the pierogies according to the package directions. Drain and coat lightly with EVOO so they do not stick together. Heat a medium-size nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter and cook until butter turns slightly brown and gives off a nutty smell. Make sure not to burn the butter though! Add the cooked pierogies to the pan and cook until slightly browned on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side.
Serve the stew in large bowls topped with a tablespoon or so of sour cream and some chopped chives with a sprinkle of lemon zest, rosemary and parsley. Place the pierogies on top of the stew and eat!
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook