Pepita Pesto Pasta with Roasted Squash
This recipe was featured in the November 2012 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound quinoa penne or whole wheat penne
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
- Nutmeg, for grating
- 1 cup packed mixed herbs, such as cilantro, basil and flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano (a couple of handfuls)
- 1/3 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 jalapeño or serrano chile peppers, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or pasted
- Juice of 1 lime
Preheat oven to 450ºF. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta-cooking water.
While the pasta is working, on a baking sheet, drizzle the squash with EVOO and season with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg. Roast until tender and charred at the edges, about 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, using a food processor, pulse 1/3 cup EVOO, herbs, cheese, pepitas, chiles, garlic and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the pesto, reserved pasta-cooking water and squash to the drained pasta. Toss gently and serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook