This recipe was featured in the November 2012 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 2 baking potatoes, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick fries
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1/2 pound cabbage, shredded
- Celery salt, to taste
- 1 cup ketchup, preferably organic or low-sodium
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck or sirloin
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 thin slices provolone
- 8 slices Italian bread, about 1-inch thick
Preheat oven to 325ºF. In a large bowl, soak the potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes. Drain, pat dry and arrange them on a baking sheet. Spray the potatoes with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Increase the oven temperature to 475ºF and bake, turning once, until very crisp and golden-brown all over, about 30 minutes.
In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, then remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Pour over the baked fries.
Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. While the pan is heating up, whisk together the vinegar, EVOO and sugar. Add the cabbage, season with celery salt and pepper. Toss and let sit while you make the burgers.
In a small bowl, stir together the ketchup and balsamic vinegar.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion and Worcestershire sauce; season with salt and lots of coarse black pepper. Form 4 patties that are thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking. Add to the hot skillet and cook, flipping once, for 8 minutes for medium-rare. Top each patty with 2 slices of cheese and let melt.
Layer the burgers between the bread slices topped with the slaw, fries and sauce. Serve with Fried Pickle Chips on the side.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook