Poblano Popper Super-Sliders
This recipe was featured in the November 2010 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 2 large Poblano chilies
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- Juice of 2 limes, divided
- Salt and pepper
- EVOO - Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- A handful cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 fresno or jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 pound ground beef sirloin
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1/2 palmful each ground cumin, ground coriander and sweet smoked paprika (about 1 1/2 teaspoons each)
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup beer, such as Negra Modelo
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sliced pepper jack, hot-pepper cheddar or sharp yellow cheddar cheese, folded or cut to top burgers
- 8 white, potato or whole wheat slider rolls, split
Yields: Makes 8 Sliders
Preheat broiler to high. Broil the poblanos with the oven door ajar to allow steam to escape to char them all over. Place chilies in a bowl, cover and let cool. Peel and seed, and purée in a food processor.
Meanwhile, season the red onion rings with half of the lime juice, salt, pepper and a little EVOO to coat. In a second bowl, mash together the avocado, sour cream, cilantro, Fresno chili and remaining lime juice. Season to taste with salt.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, puréed Poblano, cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, salt and lots of pepper. Mix in the beer and Worcestershire. Form the mixture into eight 3-inch patties (a little thinner in the center and thicker at the edges).
Drizzle a little EVOO in a large skillet or nonstick griddle over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook, turning once, for about 7 minutes for medium-rare. Top with the cheese and tent loosely with foil during the last minute or so of cooking.
Place the burgers on the roll bottoms. Top with the onions and sauce and set the roll tops in place.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook