Pork Chops with Balsamic Brown Butter, Applesauce with Thyme, Mashed Potatoes and Celery Root
- For the Apple Sauce with Thyme:
- 4 to 5 Honeycrisp apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cloudy apple cider
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- For the Mashed Celery Root and Potatoes:
- 1 pound celeriac, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 pounds starchy potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 wheel Boursin cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
- For the Pork Chops with Balsamic Brown Butter:
- 4 thick bone-in pork chops, about 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch thick
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
For the Apple Sauce with Thyme:
Place all ingredients in pot, cook over medium-high heat until apples break down into sauce, about 15-20 minutes. Add more cider as needed if apples get too dry.
Makes 2 1/2 cups
For the Mashed Celery Root and Potatoes:
Place celery root and potatoes in pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Salt water and cook to tender, 15 minutes. Drain and return to hot pot, mash with cheese and milk to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
For the Pork Chops with Balsamic Brown Butter:
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Bring chops to room temp and season with salt and pepper.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with oil. Brown chops well on both sides and edges, 7-8 minutes total. Place pan in oven and roast chops to finish cooking through, 10-12 minutes.
In small skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add crushed garlic. Brown butter until nutty and fragrant, remove from heat and add vinegar.
Spoon brown butter over the chops and serve with Apple Sauce with Thyme and Mashed Celery Root and Potatoes alongside.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook