Que Pasta Mexican Mac 'n' Cheese
A recipe from Yum-o! The Family Cookbook.
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1 pound farfalle (bow-tie pasta) or whole-wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) ground coriander
- 2 1/2 cups grated Mexican cheese blend or mix of cheddar and queso fresco
- 1 firm avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 small vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 scallions, green and white parts, chopped
Yields: 4 servings, with seconds
Heat the broiler to high and blacken the poblanos on all sides, 12-15 minutes. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover tight with plastic wrap or place in a paper sack; cool for 10 minutes, then peel, seed and chop.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Add salt and the pasta and cook al dente.
Heat a saucepot over medium heat; add the EVOO, onions, and garlic and cook until tender, 6-7 minutes. Add the butter to the pan and when it melts, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the stock and milk and bring to a simmer. Season with salt, pepper, the cumin, and the coriander and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight pattern until the cheese melts.
Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce and the chopped poblano peppers. Toss the avocado with the lime juice. Serve the mac-n-cheese in shallow bowls and top with the tomatoes, avocados and scallions.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook