Que Pasta? Mexican Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- 2 ancho chili peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound fresh chorizo
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pasted (finely chopped then mashed with salt) or grated
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pinches cinnamon
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 12-ounce bottle Mexican beer, such as Dos Equis
- 1 pound spaghetti or whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated queso asadero, cotija or Jack cheese, plus more to pass at table
- Finely chopped scallions, cilantro or parsley, to garnish
Yields: Serves 4
Simmer peppers in stock for 15 minutes then purée stock and softened peppers in a food processor.
Meanwhile, heat EVOO in heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and chorizo, brown 12-15 minutes then add onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper, and cook 8-10 more. Sprinkle in a little cinnamon then add tomato paste and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add beer, stir a minute more then add the stock and pepper purée. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
While sauce simmers, bring water to boil for spaghetti. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente. Heads up: save a cup of starchy cooking water just before draining.
Toss pasta with reserved water, half of the sauce and a couple of handfuls of grated cheese.
Serve in bowls with extra sauce on top, garnished with more cheese, scallions and cilantro or parsley.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook