Quick Potted Spanish Chicken
This recipe was featured in Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 1 large dried ancho chile, stemmed and seeded
- 2 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/4 EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A few pinches ground cloves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 28-ounce can diced or whole fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 small pieces bone-in chicken breast, halved crosswise
- 4 small bone-in chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Yields: Serves 4
In a small saucepan, bring the ancho chile and 1 cup chicken stock to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until softened, 10 minutes.
In a large saucepan, bring the remaining 1 3/4 cups stock and the butter to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover and simmer for 18 minutes. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork.
In another large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic, bay leaves, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cloves; season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 7-8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and heat for 5 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a food processor, discarding the bay leaves. Add the soaked ancho and its liquid and process until smooth.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet with a lid, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the skillet skin side down and cook until browned, 7-8 minutes. Flip over and add the reserved sauce. Cover and cook the chicken through, 10-12 minutes.
Serve the chicken on the rice and top with parsley.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook