Rigatoni with Creamy Mushroom Ragu
This recipe was featured in the January/February 2013 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni rigate
- A generous handful dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or water (for vegetarians)
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound cremini or mixed fresh mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 7 to 8 sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup marsala or dry white wine
- A generous handful grated Pecorino-Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a small saucepan, add the porcinis and stock (or water). Bring to a simmer. Drain, reserving the stock; coarsely chop mushrooms.
In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the butter to melt. Add the fresh mushrooms and cook until browned, 10-12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat the milk to barely a simmer. Remove from heat; cover.
Add the carrot, onion, garlic, thyme, sage and bay leaf to the cooked creminis; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute. Stir in the marsala or wine, chopped porcinis, 1 cup of the porcini stock and the warm milk; bring to a simmer.
Add the pasta and reserved pasta water to the sauce. Stir in the cheese and toss to combine.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook