Roasted Tomato and Butternut Squash Rigatoni
- 3 pounds ripe heirloom or plum tomatoes
- 1 medium butternut squash, seeded and diced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided, plus some for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 bulb garlic, top end cut to expose cloves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- A fat pinch saffron threads
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound rigatoni
- A fat handful of basil, torn
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus some to pass at table
Heat oven to 400ºF.
Arrange tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and the squash on another. Dress tomatoes with 2 tablespoons EVOO, toss squash with 2 tablespoons EVOO. Season tomatoes with thyme, salt and pepper, squash with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Drizzle garlic with EVOO, season with salt and pepper, and wrap in a foil pouch. Roast garlic to soft and golden, 40 minutes; tomatoes until charred at edges and burst, 30 to 35 minutes (or longer depending on size); squash to golden and tender, 25-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a small pot over medium-low heat; add saffron and swirl. Add stock and keep at a low simmer.
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
Squish garlic cloves into a large bowl. Mash in buttery stock; add tomatoes and mash with basil to create a sauce. Add pasta and squash, toss to combine; Add cheese, toss and serve.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook