Coarse Sirloin Burgers with Garlic-Black Pepper-Parmesan Sauce and Roasted Tomatoes with Basil and Balsamic Drizzle
Burgers go gourmet!
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes (for four burgers), sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Black pepper for seasoning, plus 1 teaspoon coarse ground
- 2 pounds coarse ground sirloin - ask your butcher to freshly grind the meat on coarse setting if butcher is available, otherwise buy 1 pound each ground chuck and ground sirloin and combine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 4 Kaiser rolls, toasted
- 7-8 leaves red lead or red romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, about 8-10 leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic drizzle
Yields: Serves 4
Preheat oven to 325ºF.
Place a cooling rack over a baking sheet. Arrange tomatoes on the rack then drizzle with a touch of EVOO and season the tomato slices with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes 45 minutes.
When the tomatoes are about ready, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. While the pan is heating up combine the sirloin with some salt and pepper and form into 4 patties, thicker at edges and thinner in the center for even cooking and to insure you end up with a flat burger as the burger bulges up during cooking. Cook patties 10 minutes for medium-rare patties turning once. Cook 12 minutes for pink centers and 14 minutes for well-done.
While the patties are cooking, place a small pot over medium-high heat with the butter. Add the garlic to the melted butter and cook for about 1 minute. Add the flour to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk the milk into the butter-flour mixture and bring up to a bubble. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt, lots of pepper (about 1 teaspoon) and stir in the cheese. Prepare balsamic drizzle in small pot if not using store-bought.
To assemble, place some lettuce on the bun bottom and top with a burger patty, pour Parmigiano sauce over top, set a roasted tomatoes in sauce, scatter basil over burgers and garnish balsamic drizzle, set tops in place.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook