Sliced Chicken Breasts on Toast with Onion-Orange Jam
Sweet and tart... yum-o!
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons grated red onion
- 2 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for drizzling
- Sea or Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 6- to 8-ounce pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups small spicy greens, such as arugula or watercress
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- For the Onion-Orange Jam:
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons rosemary leaves, chopped
- Zest of 1 organic blood orange or orange, orange peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or Cointreau liquor
- 1/2 cup all-fruit orange marmalade
- 6 slices good quality white bread
In a shallow dish, combine garlic, red pepper, grated onion, thyme and parsley. Whisk in mustard and EVOO, season with salt and pepper, add chicken and marinate 1 hour. Soften butter by bringing to room temp.
For the jam, heat EVOO over medium heat in a saucepot. Add butter; when it foams add the onions and season with salt, pepper and rosemary. Cook until light golden in color and sweet, 15 minutes. Add orange zest and pieces, wine, vinegar, sugar, orange liqueur and marmalade, and simmer over medium heat for 40-45 minutes until very thick and jammy.
Preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat broiler to high with the oven 1 rack below the top of oven. Grill or broil chicken 12 minutes, turning once or until juices are clear. Let cool 4-5 minutes. Thinly slice chicken breasts on an angle.
Arrange bread on a baking sheet and lightly broil the bread to golden on each side. Butter toast and spread with jam, cut from corner to corner.
Arrange toast points, 1 slice per person, corners turned in, on dinner plates, top with fanned, sliced chicken. Garnish with greens tossed with lemon juice, a drizzle of EVOO and sea salt. Pass extra jam at table.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook