Sliced Steak BLTs with Jalapeño Chimichurri
This recipe was featured in the November 2012 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 12 slices good quality smoky bacon
- 1 1/4 pounds flank or flatiron steak 1-inch-thick, at room temperature
- Steak seasoning (optional)
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 jalapeño chile peppers, seeded
- 1 shallot or 1/4 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh or 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) dried marjoram or oregano
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 8 slices whole grain or white bread, toasted
- 1 bunch watercress, stemmed
- 1 large tomato, thickly sliced
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan and bake until crisp, 15-18 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Season the steak with the steak seasoning, if using (otherwise, use coarse salt and pepper), and drizzle with a little EVOO. Grill the meat, turning once, for 8 minutes for medium-rare. Remove from the heat and let rest, then thinly slice on an angle against the grain.
Using a food processor, pulse 1/3 cup EVOO, jalapeño, shallot (or onion), garlic, cilantro, parsley, marjoram (or oregano), lime juice and vinegar into a chimichurri sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, arrange the sliced steak on the toast. Top with the watercress, bacon, tomato, lots of chimichurri and the remaining toast.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook