Sloppy Chipotle Joes
Rachael gives ordinary sloppy joes a little kick!
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon of the sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 soft rolls or Kaiser rolls, split
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced (optional)
Yields: 4 servings
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Once hot, add the ground sirloin and cook for about 4-5 minutes, breaking it up with a potato masher or the back of a spoon as it browns.
Add the onion, red bell pepper, garlic, chipotle pepper and sauce, and cook, stirring every now and then for 3-4 minutes, until the onions and peppers start to get a little tender.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, Worcestershire, tomato sauce. Add the sauce to the skillet and season everything with a little salt and pepper, to taste. Bring up to a bubble and simmer until nice and thick, about 3-4 minutes.
To serve, divide the mixture between the split rolls and top each with a few slices of avocado.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook