Smoky Huevos Rancheros
This recipe is a B.L.D. and can be enjoyed any time of the day!
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for brushing tortillas and drizzling
- 4 corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, pasted or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon puréed chipotle in adobo
- 1 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/3 pound chorizo or good quality bacon, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- About 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 extra-large organic eggs
- 1 avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- A small handful cilantro leaves
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or other mild cheese, shredded
Yields: Serves 4
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Brush corn tortillas with EVOO and season with a pinch of salt. Arrange the tortillas on a rack over a baking sheet. Bake to crispy and golden, 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of EVOO in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Add bay, cinnamon stick, chipotle, tomatoes and tomato sauce to the pot and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat to medium and let sauce thicken 10 minutes. Remove bay and cinnamon stick.
Add a drizzle of EVOO to a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo or bacon and brown. Add beans and season with cumin. Reduce heat to low.
Add a drizzle of EVOO to a nonstick skillet or griddle pan. Add 4 eggs and cook to order -- sunny, over-easy or fried.
Dress the diced avocado with lime juice.
Place a crispy tortilla on plate, top with black beans and pour red sauce over beans in a thin, even layer. Top with an egg and arrange avocado pieces around the dish. Sprinkle with cilantro and queso fresco, and serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook