Spanish Chicken and Sausage Penne
This dish tastes like a paella made with pasta.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- A generous pinch of saffron threads, about 24
- 1 pound penne pasta
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 2 large red frying peppers or medium red bell peppers
- 1/2 pound Spanish-style chorizo, casing removed and chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, diced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 chili pepper -- red Fresno, Holland or cherry pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 14-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes or diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Freshly grated or shredded Manchego cheese, for topping
Yields: Serves 6
Place stock and saffron in small pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and reduce the stock by half a cup to concentrate flavor, 15 minutes or so.
Place a pot of water on to boil for pasta. Once boiling, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
Char peppers over stove burner or under broiler until skins blacken. Place in a bowl to cool and cover with plastic wrap. Once cool, peel, seed and chop.
Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of EVOO in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and brown. Remove and reserve. Add chicken pieces to the skillet, season with thyme, salt and pepper, and brown. Remove to the plate with chorizo. Add another drizzle EVOO to the pan and the mushrooms. Brown mushrooms alone 5 minutes then add onions, garlic, bay and chili pepper. Season with salt and pepper and cook 10 minutes more. Deglaze the pan with sherry, then slide reserved chicken and chorizo back in. Add roasted red peppers, tomatoes, parsley and reduced stock.
Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Serve in shallow bowls with extra drizzle of EVOO on top and lots of Manchego cheese.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook