Steak and Eggs with Quick Mustard Pan Gravy
Try this variation on classic steak and eggs!
- 2 10-ounce thin strip steaks or 8-ounce flat iron steaks
- EVOO- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus some for buttering toast
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- A couple of sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped, or a teaspoon dried leaves
- 1 rounded tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup white or red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- Lots of black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup of 1/2 and 1/2 or heavy cream
- 2 slices good quality white or rye bread
- 4 large eggs
- A small bundle of watercress, trimmed and cleaned
Yields: Serves 2
Bring steaks to room temperature.
Rub a cast-iron skillet or heavy pan with oil and heat over medium-high flame. When pan is very hot add steaks and cook 4 minutes on first side, 3 minutes on second for medium doneness. Steaks should be deeply caramelized before turning.
Place a skillet on stove top for eggs and heat over medium-low flame.
Meanwhile, to a small skillet over medium heat add a drizzle of EVOO and 2 tablespoons butter. Add shallots and sprinkle in thyme leaves, then sauté shallots until soft, 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and stir a minute. Add wine and stir to evaporate 30 seconds. Then add Worcestershire sauce, stock, lots of pepper and a pinch of salt. Stir in mustard and incorporate. Then stir in 1/2 and 1/2 or cream and stir 1 minute more. Turn off pan.
Toast bread while sauce cooks and butter while hot.
Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to hot egg skillet over medium-low heat and cook eggs to desired doneness, 2 eggs at a time. Repeat.
Serve steaks on halved buttered toast with eggs on top. Pour sauce over steak and eggs and garnish with watercress.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook