Stuffed Hot Dogs: Michigan Dogs with Cheese Sauce
Stuffed hot dogs can be made two ways! You can also try Hot and Sweet Pepper Dogs!
- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, a palmful
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika, half a palmful
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander, half a palmful
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup yellow cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 8 large good quality hot dogs, split down the middle
- 8 bakery hoagie, sub or dog rolls, split
Yields: Serves 4
Heat a large griddle over medium-high heat. Heat a deep skillet with a few inches boiling water. Reduce heat, keeping water at low boil.
Heat a saucepot over medium-high heat with EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Add meat and brown, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, chili, paprika and coriander. Stir in tomato paste, cook 1 minute then add stock. Reduce heat to simmer.
In a second small pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk, season with salt and pepper and cook to thicken, 1-2 minutes. Melt cheese into milk sauce, add mustard and reduce heat to low.
Add hot dogs to boiling water and cook 4-5 minutes to heat through. Remove, split lengthwise and place on hot griddle to crisp the inside of the dog as well as the casing. Nestle dogs in rolls and top with both Michigan and cheese sauce.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook