Super Nachos with Butternut Queso
Looking for something new to serve to your party guests on game day? Try this nacho dish with a tasty twist!
- For the Butternut Queso:
- 1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/3 palmful
- 1 rounded tablespoon seeded pureéd chipotle in adobo (purée the entire can and freeze remainder)
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 1 /2 cups shredded extra sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- For the nachos:
- 1 can spicy vegetarian refried beans
- 1 bag good quality tortillas, such as blue corn, multi-grain or flax seed
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Drained pickled jalapeño slices
- Diced seeded tomatoes
- Finely chopped red onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced avocado, dressed with lemon or lime juice
Yields: Serves 4
Preheat oven to 425°F. Drizzle squash with EVOO, salt and pepper, and roast 20-25 minutes to golden and tender.
While the squash roasts, in a medium pot, sauté carrots, onions and garlic in a little EVOO over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper, cumin and coriander. Cook 10-12 minutes until tender. Scrape into a food processor and add chipotle purée and the roast squash along with the stock. Purée until very smooth and reserve.
Return pot to stove and melt butter. Whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in milk. Season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg, and melt in cheese. Stir in reserved vegetable purée and adjust heat level and seasoning to taste.
Switch on broiler.
Heat vegetarian refried beans with about 1/3 cup water to thin out the beans a little.
Arrange the chips in casserole dish and dot with thinned refried beans. Sprinkle with black beans and top with butternut queso. (Tip: You will have extra butternut queso. Thin it out with stock and enjoy as soup!) Broil until brown at edges and chips are crisp. Top with pickled jalapenos, tomatoes, onions, cilantro and avocado.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook