It's Sloppy Joe's Argentinian cousin, Tango Joe!
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 pounds lean, ground sirloin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sprigs oregano, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup (a couple handfuls) fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (3 splashes) red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1 small, 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons (about 3/4 palmful) smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 Portuguese rolls, toasted
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat a large sauté pan over high heat with 3 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 3 tablespoons. Cook the ground sirloin until browned, 7-8 minutes. Once the meat is brown, season it with salt and pepper.
While the meat is browning, add the oregano, thyme, parsley, garlic and onion to a food processor and pulse the machine to finely chop everything. With the machine running, stream in the vinegar and remaining 1/2 cup of EVOO. Season the herb sauce (in Argentina this is called a chimichurri) with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add half of the chimichurri to the skillet with the meat, mix to combine.
In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Add the sauce to the pan, then bring everything up to a bubble and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
To serve, spread the remaining chimichurri on the toast bun tops and spoon the Tango Joes onto the bottoms. Replace the tops and enjoy!
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook