Teri Hatcher's Souped-Up Box Stuffing – Sausage Version
Teri Hatcher reveals her secret to great stuffing -- sausage!
- 1 16-ounce box traditional stuffing mix
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 ounces spicy sausage (2 links)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 3 sprigs thyme, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- 2 sprigs sage, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- Giblets and neck from the innards of 1 turkey, left whole
- 1 Vidalia (sweet) onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery (about 1 cup), finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms (cremini or white button), sliced
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cups liquid (equal mix of wine, beer and vegetable stock)
Yields: 6-8 servings
Empty the stuffing mix into a large mixing bowl and reserve.
Place a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat with the EVOO, about three turns of the pan. Add the sausage, turning occasionally, and cook about 4 minutes per side. Remove the sausage from the pan, allow to cool slightly, then roughly chop it up and reserve.
As soon as the sausage is removed from the pan, add and melt the butter. Add the onion, celery, mushrooms and pears to the pan and allow them to cook 5 minutes, until they start to get tender. Add the herbs, cook a minute or two, then add the liquids, turkey giblets and neck and simmer 5 minutes or so.
Remove the turkey giblets and neck from the pan and stir the chopped sausage into the veggies and pears. Pour everything in the pan into the bowl with the stuffing mix, tossing everything lightly to combine it all. Stuff the turkey with the prepared stuffing and roast.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook