"Thai It, You’ll Like it" Spicy Thai Shrimp with Coconut Rice
Introduce your family to Thai cuisine with this easy-to-make dish.
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chili, seeded and thinly sliced or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce or 2 to 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups (a couple of handfuls) basil, torn
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
Yields: 4 servings
Toast coconut in a saucepan over medium heat until it turns golden brown. Reserve 1/2 cup for garnish.
To the remaining coconut in the saucepan, add the chicken stock, rice and salt, and bring it to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, place a lid on top and cook for 15 minutes. Let the mixture stand for five minutes off the heat then fluff with a fork.
While the rice is cooking, preheat a large, nonstick skillet over high heat with the canola oil. When the pan is hot, add the shrimp, red bell peppers, chili (or red pepper flakes) and garlic, stirring frequently for about 3-4 minutes.
Add the fish sauce (or soy sauce), basil and toss to combine. Serve the shrimp and some of the sauce over the coconut rice and squeeze some lime juice over everything. Garnish with the reserved toasted coconut and the lime zest.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook