- 2 dried ancho chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 poblano chilies
- 16 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- All-natural cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 jalapeño chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 2 1/2 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar or blend of Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, cheddar, Chihuahua, asadero or any easy melting cheeses of choice
- For topping:
- Chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped red onions
- Pickled jalapeño slices, for garnish
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 cup sour cream
Reconstitute ancho peppers in simmering broth and just enough water to cover. Purée peppers and their liquid in a food processor and reserve.
Char poblanos over an open flame or under the broiler to char evenly all over, cool in a covered bowl and seed, peel, chop and reserve.
Arrange corn tortilla strips on baking sheets, spray with cooking spray and season with salt. Bake to deeply golden.
Heat oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add chorizo, brown and crumble. Add beef, brown and crumble. Add chilies, onions, garlic, cumin, coriander, beans, chopped poblanos, ancho purée and cook a few minutes to combine flavors.
Layer half the crispy tortillas into a casserole dish and top with chorizo, beef and beans. Let cool and refrigerate. Store remaining crispy tortillas in a foil pouch.
To serve, bring casserole to room temperature then top with crispy tortillas and cheese. Bake at 375°F until bubbly and hot through, 40-45 minutes.
Top with pickled jalapeños, lettuce, tomato and onions. Whip up the avocado, lime and sour cream and dollop over top or pass at table.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook