Turkey Kielbasa, Sweet Potato and Leek Soup
Serve this on the third night of Rollover Potato Meals.
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound turkey kielbasa, chopped into medium dice
- 4 medium leeks, roots removed, white and light green parts roughly chopped and thoroughly cleaned of all grit (dark green parts discarded)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- A couple dashes hot sauce
- A pinch nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock, divided
- 5 leftover baked sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Sour cream, low-fat or regular, for garnish (optional)
Yields: 4 servings
Place a soup pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Once hot, add the kielbasa and cook until brown and crispy, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the pot and reserve on paper towel-lined plate.
To the same pot, add the leeks, thyme, garlic, hot sauce, nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes, until the leeks are tender.
Transfer leeks to a food processor along with about 2 cups of the chicken stock and purée until smooth. Add the chunks of sweet potato and another 4 cups of the chicken stock -- work in batches if you have a small food processor or if you are working with a blender. Purée until smooth and return to the soup pot, adding enough chicken stock to achieve a thick and creamy soup consistency.
Turn the heat on to medium-high, bring up to a bubble and simmer a couple of minutes. Serve the soup topped with some of the crispy turkey kielbasa and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook