Veal & Sage Saltimbocca Burgers
Rachael turns an Italian classic dish into an exceptionally tasty American burger.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some extra for drizzling
- 2 pounds ground veal
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 15-20 leaves of fresh sage, stripped from stem and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 1/2 pound fontina cheese, sliced
- 8 slices of semolina bread, sliced on a wide angle
- 1 bunch baby romaine lettuce or romaine hearts, leaves pulled from core
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bag fancy potato chips, any kind you like
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat the broiler to medium-high. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the ground veal, garlic, sage, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix to combine. Score the meat into 4 equal sections and form each section into a patty about an inch thick. Put the patties in the skillet and cook on the first side for 5-6 minutes. Flip the burgers over and place the prosciutto and cheese on top. Tent the burgers with a piece of aluminum foil and continue to cook until the burgers are done, about another 5-6 minutes, and the cheese is melted.
While the burgers are cooking, place the bread slices on a cookie sheet and transfer to the broiler to toast them up.
In another medium-size bowl, add the romaine lettuce leaves. Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the leaves then drizzle them with some EVOO and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
When the burgers are done, place 4 slices of toast on a serving platter and top with some of the dressed romaine lettuce leaves. Put a patty on each slice then top with the remaining pieces of toast. Serve with a handful of fancy potato chips alongside.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook