Welsh Rarebit-Style Mac 'n' Cheese
Serve with thick-sliced tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper and watercress salad dressed with lemon juice, EVOO, salt and pepper alongside.
- 1 pound short cut pasta, such as cavatapi (hollow corkscrew shaped pasta) or penne or short-cut whole wheat or whole grain pasta
- 4 slices good quality white bread or pumpernickel bread
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Coleman’s or other dry mustard, a couple of palmfuls
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup porter beer
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- Black pepper
Yields: Serves 4-6
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Bring pasta water to a boil and salt water. Cook past 5-6 minutes to just shy of al dente.
While water comes to a boil, place a cooling rack over a baking sheet and arrange sliced bread. Toast bread in oven then coarsely chop and add to food processor, process into coarse bread crumbs.
Melt butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Pour half the butter over crumbs to moisten them and combine crumbs with parsley. To remaining butter, add garlic and gently cook 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly. Add hot sauce and mustard and stir to combine then sprinkle in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and beer; cook beer out 30 seconds then add stock and bring to bubble. Thicken a minute more. Stir in 2 cups of cheese in figure-8 motion and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Toss pasta with Rarebit sauce and spoon into "cricks" or a casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs and remaining sprinkle of cheese, then place on middle rack of oven and broil 2-3 minutes until bubbly and deeply brown on top.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook