Creamy Mushroom and Herb Sauce with Whole Grain Pasta
This decadent dish, made with whole grain pasta, is great to make when you're entertaining, either as a starter or as an entrée!
- About 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, wiped and thinly sliced
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- About 2 tablespoons finely chopped thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- About 2 tablespoons double-concentrated tomato paste, from a tube
- About 1/2 cup dry sherry or Marsala wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- A few grates nutmeg
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain pasta – long or short cuts both work with this sauce, I enjoy linguini with it
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of handfuls plus some to pass at table
- Optional Garnishes:
- Chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley or watercress
Yields: Serves 4 as entrée 6-8 as starter
Bring a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
In a large, deep skillet, heat EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Melt butter then add mushrooms and brown well, 12-15 minutes. Add shallots, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper, and stir a few minutes more until very fragrant. Add tomato paste, stir to incorporate. Add sherry or Marsala and stir to combine, stir in cream and reduce heat to low; season with a little nutmeg. Allow sauce to gently reduce at a low bubble while pasta cooks.
When water is boiling, add salt and cook pasta to al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup starchy water just before draining. Drain pasta.
Add some cheese to the sauce, stir, and add drained pasta to the pot. Toss to coat, using a little starchy water to incorporate if necessary. Serve in shallow bowls with more cheese to pass at table. Add texture and more flavors to dish by topping with toasted chopped hazelnuts and parsley or watercress.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook