- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Zest and juice of 1 orange, divided
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1-inch chunk ginger, peeled and grated or 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup Zinfandel wine
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice powder
- 4 scallions, sliced on bias
Yields: Serves 4
In a medium pot over medium-high heat combine the rice, chicken stock and zest of the orange. Bring the liquids up to a bubble and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer the rice until it has absorbed all of the water, about 15 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and sauté until golden brown and cooked through, 6-7 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and reserve it on a plate.
Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the peppers, onion, garlic and ginger to the pan. Sauté until tender, 4-5 minutes. Season the veggies with salt and pepper, and push everything over to the sides of the pan. Add the butter to the flour to the pan and sprinkle the flour over the melted butter. Cook for about 30 seconds then add the wine, tamari and Five Spice powder to the skillet and stir to combine. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer until thickened and heated through, 2-3 minutes.
When the rice is ready, fluff it with a fork and stir in the scallions and orange juice. Serve the stir-fry over the rice.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook