Aired July 5, 2013
- For the Turkey Burgers
- 4 1/2 ounces ground turkey
- 1 scallion (green onion), finely chopped
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1/2 red chile, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- For the Salsa
- 3 ripe tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 or 2 whole green chiles
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Coarse sea salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 avocado, chopped (optional)
Combine the turkey, scallion, 1 tablespoon of the egg, the chile, garlic, cumin,and
coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Leave to marinate for half an hour in the fridge.
Shape into 2 patties and broil or grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, till cooked through.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Place the tomatoes (cut side down), chiles and onion (cut side down) in a small baking pan; roast till just charred. When cooled, halve the chiles and scoop out the seeds. Place the chiles in a mortar and pound with a pestle or grind in a mini food processor. Add the garlic, sugar, and salt. Add the tomatoes and crush with a fork or pulse briefly until combined. Stir in the cilantro, lemon juice and onion; season with pepper. If your calorie budget allows, add the avocado.