Aired July 5, 2013
- For the burgers:
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper or 24/7 Seasoning or seasoning blend of choice
- 2 limes or 3 to 4 tablespoons yuzu or Ponzu sauce
- 1 2-pound fresh, sashimi-grade tuna steak, cut into chunks
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 inch ginger root, minced or grated
- 1 small bunch scallions, whites and greens minced
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Ponzu or Tamari
- Stir fry oil or canola oil
- 4 brioche buns, lightly toasted
- For the topping:
- Nori, torn sheets of seaweed wrappers, toasted in a skillet until fragrant
- Pickled ginger
- For the sauce
- 3/4 cup crme fraiche, homemade aioli or Veganaise
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
Toss onions with seasoning or salt and pepper, yuzu, Ponzu or lime juice; let stand at least 30 minutes.
Pulse tuna in a food processor to finely chop then gently combine with garlic, ginger, scallions, pepper and Ponzu or Tamari. Form into patties and coat with oil.
Assemble the toppings and heat a griddle or nonstick skillet.
Combine sauce ingredients.
Cook burgers 4-5 minutes, turning once for pink centers and 7-8 minutes to cook through.
Serve burgers on toasted buns topped with toasted Nori, pickled onions, pickled ginger and special sauce.