Originally aired July 4, 2013
- 24 halved Serrano peppers
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- A small handful cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 cup rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1 pound good quality smoky, thick-cut bacon
- 3 avocados, sliced
- 2 limes
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes halved and sliced
- Celery salt and pepper
- 12 to 16 hot dogs, pork or beef
- 12 to 16 hot dog rolls, brioche, potato or roll of choice
- Shredded iceberg or romaine heart
- Ketchup and mustard
Place Serrano peppers and onions in a small container with cilantro or parsley leaves, and coriander seed. Bring vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a low boil in a small saucepan and pour over the top of the peppers. Cool and store several hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375F. Arrange bacon on a slotted broiler pan and bake to crisp, 20 minutes.
Dress sliced avocado with lime juice. Dress the tomatoes with celery salt and pepper.
Par-boil the hot dogs a few minutes in simmering water to heat through then crisp up casings on a grill or griddle. Toast rolls.
Fill rolls with sliced crisp bacon, lettuce, avocado, Serrano peppers, tomatoes and dogs and top with drizzles of ketchup and mustard.