Serves 12-16 sliders
Originally aired July 3, 2013
- 2 petite filets of beef, each about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds, trimmed
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 12 slices butcher-cut bacon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 to 4 tablespoons minced chives
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 bunches watercress or upland cress, trimmed, washed and dried
- 12 to 16 small brioche rolls, split and lightly toasted
Bring beef to room temperature before you begin to cook.
Preheat oven to 375F. Preheat cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
Bake bacon on a slotted broiler pan to crisp, 15-18 minutes.
Meanwhile, coat meat with oil and season liberally with salt and coarse pepper. Brown filets 5-6 minutes in the skillet and transfer to the oven to finish, 5-6 minutes more for medium-rare to medium. Remove and let rest 5-10 minutes.
Combine sour cream with horseradish, chives, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Slice meat very thinly against the grain and serve on rolls topped with bacon, cress leaves and horseradish cream.