Aired July 3, 2013
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples, cut in medium dice
- 3 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Ball Park franks
- 4 hot dog buns, split
- 1/4 cup stone-ground mustard
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
In an oven-safe skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saut until translucent, approximately 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add sauerkraut and saut for 3 minutes. Add apples and brown sugar, stir to combine and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add wine and transfer to oven to cook for 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Grill hot dogs. Place grilled dogs buns and top with stone-ground mustard and some of the apple-sauerkraut mixture.