Originally aired May 22, 2013
- 7 eggs, divided
- 1/4 cup curry powder or create your own blend with turmeric, cumin, coriander in equal parts and a little ground mustard, cinnamon and paprika for balance
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated or minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast, turkey or chicken
- 3 slices good quality white bread, cubed
- Milk, to soak bread
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup organic or low-sugar ketchup
- 1/4 cup sriracha sauce
- A handful of cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 4 scallions, whites and greens finely chopped
- Mango chutney, to pass at table, preferred brand Pataks
- Buttered, grilled garlic Naan bread
Place 5 eggs in cold water, cover with water, bring to a boil then cover pan and let stand 8 minutes (2 minutes shy of hard-boiled eggs). Drain eggs. Crack shells and soak in cold water to loosen. Peel eggs.
Heat skillet with spices to toast then add oil and stir to heat and add onions, carrots, chili, ginger and garlic. Stir to soften a few minutes then deglaze the pan with sherry and cool.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Place the meat in bowl. Squeeze excess milk from bread and crumble into crumbs as you add to meat. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Combine ketchup and sriracha. Add half the mixture to meat. Add cooled curry spice, vegetables, cilantro or parsley, and scallions to meat. Beat 2 eggs and add to meat mixture. Combine meatloaf mix.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment and place loaf mix down in large free-form rectangle shape. Set the cooked eggs end to end through the meat, then build the loaf up and around the eggs. Finished loaf should be 3 to 4 inches high and 10 to 12 inches long with the eggs evenly nested so once cut the hard boiled egg sliced will be at center of your loaf. Brush the loaf with remaining ketchup and sriracha sauce and bake 60-75 minutes until cooked through. Let the meatloaf stand 10 minutes, then slice and serve with a dollop of mango chutney and naan bread alongside.