Aired May 10, 2013
- For the chicken:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana hot sauce or another hot sauce
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups multigrain or whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- For the garnish:
- 1 lemon, quartered
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a mixing bowl, mix the buttermilk and hot sauce. Submerge the chicken pieces in the buttermilk and soak in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour but no more than 24 hours.
In a gallon-size plastic bag, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan, black pepper, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Seal the bag and shake until well-mixed.
Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and transfer directly to the bag with the breadcrumb mixture. Shake until the chicken breasts are evenly coated with the breadcrumbs. Remove the chicken from the bag and lay on a nonstick baking sheet. Refrigerate, uncovered for 30 minutes.
Bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes or until just cooked through.