Originally aired May 7, 2013
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 2- to 3-inch lengths
- About 1/2 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 small red chili pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 to 4 anchovy filets, drained (if in oil) or rinsed (if in salt) and chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound linguine
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
In a large, deep skillet, bring about 1 1/2 to 2 inches water to a boil. Salt water and par-boil the rabe to cook out the bitterness, about 5 minutes. Drain and return pan to heat. Heat about 3 tablespoons oil, 3 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add onions, chili and half the garlic, and saut to tender. Add rabe and season with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock and reduce heat to low simmer.
Add parsley, remaining garlic, pine nuts, anchovies, lemon zest and juice, black pepper, paprika and about 1/4 cup EVOO to a food processor. Pulse into a pesto sauce and adjust salt to taste. Transfer sauce to large shallow bowl.
Cook pasta to al dente. Add about a cup of hot starchy cooking water to the pesto and stir. Drain linguine and add to sauce along with the rabe. Toss the pasta and sauce vigorously for 1-2 minutes to evenly coat pasta and to distribute the rabe.