Aired April 18, 2013
- 2 thin slices beef round cut for braciole, about 8 ounces each
- Kosher salt
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup homemade breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (if not cooking in Sunday Gravy)
Lay the beef between layers of plastic wrap and pound gently with a meat mallet until about 1/4-inch thick. Remove the plastic and lightly salt the top. Top each piece of meat with garlic, breadcrumbs, Pecorino, parsley and a few grinds of black pepper. Fold in the short sides of the beef, then the bottom, followed by the top, to enclose and create a long bundle. Secure the meat with toothpicks or butchers twine.
You can cook the braciole in Sunday Gravy or heat the olive oil in a wide, heavy pan until it is shimmering, almost smoking. Add the braciole without crowding and cook, turning them with tongs or a wooden spoon, until nicely seared on the outside and cooked through, about 10 minutes.