12-16 as a snack
Aired April 17, 2013
- 3 medium eggplants
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons mint
- Smoked sea salt, as an optional garnish
- For Serving:
- 1 bag pita chips
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced
Line a baking sheet with foil and place eggplant under broiler, rotating every 5 minutes so that every side of the eggplant is evenly charred. After the eggplant is charred, turn the oven temp to 500F and roast for about 15-20 minutes. Let cool and cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for 3 hours or overnight; this will help permeate the smoky flavor in the eggplant.
Three hours later or the next day, use a pairing knife to peel the charred skin off the eggplant then place the skinned eggplant and remaining liquid in food processor bowl. Add in tahini, yogurt, garbanzo beans, lemon zest and juice, garlic, chili flakes, a drizzle of EVOO, salt and pepper, and pure until smooth. Add in parsley and mint, and pulse until blended about 15 seconds.
Serve with pita chips and sliced cucumbers alongside.