Aired April 1, 2013
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 bunches spring onions trimmed and cut in half across or 8 thin leeks, trimmed and halved lengthwise then rinsed, dried and halved across
- Salt and pepper
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts or 8 chicken thighs
- Rosemary, broken into 2-inch sprigs plus 2 tablespoons chopped
- 2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced or crushed
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- For the Rice Pilaf with Artichokes and Pine Nuts:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta or broken spaghetti
- 1 cup white long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can or 1 defrosted box frozen artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
Preheat oven to 375F.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in cast iron or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and brown a few minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper then arrange them on a platter or individual dinner plates.
Add 2 more turns of oil to the pan. Place a sprig of rosemary and a slice of lemon under skin of each piece of chicken. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown chicken skin side first until crispy but not fully cooked. Transfer chicken to plate and add garlic and chopped rosemary to pan. Deglaze pan with wine and scrape up bits and drippings. Add chicken back to pan, transfer to oven and roast until cooked through, 20 minutes for breasts and 10-15 minutes for thighs.
Remove chicken to platter over the onions. Add lemon and butter to wine sauce in pan and swirl a minute. Spoon over the chicken and serve.
For the Rice Pilaf with Artichokes and Pine Nuts:
Melt butter in saucepot over medium heat; add onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, cook to tender then add orzo pasta and toast to deep golden and fragrant. Stir in rice and stock, bring to boil then reduce heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes. Add artichokes and cook 3 minutes longer. Fluff with a fork and combine with pine nuts.