Aired March 29, 2013
- 1 1/2 pounds green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small jalapeo, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1/2 lime, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken or ham-flavored Sazon (optional)
- Tortilla chips, croutons or chicharrones (fried pork rinds), for garnish (optional)
Put the tomatoes into a blender and pure. Add the cilantro, onion, jalapeno, coriander, cumin, lime juice, salt, pepper and Sazon, if using, and pure until smooth. Add water, 2 or 3 tablespoons at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and lime juice if necessary.
Serve the gazpacho in chilled bowls, garnished with tortilla chips, croutons or chicharrones, if you like.
(To freeze the surface of the soup, holding the canister with gloved hands, carefully pour 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid nitrogen directly onto the surface of the gazpacho in each bowl, freezing the top of the soup instantly. Be sure to allow the liquid nitrogen vapor to dissipate completely before serving.)