Originally aired March 7, 2013
- 4 6- to 8-ounce beef tournedo filets about 1 inch thick, at room temperature
- Coarse salt and pepper
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil or vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella
- 4 brioche buns, lightly toasted
Preheat a large, heavy skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
Drizzle a little oil into the hot pan. Add the beef and cook, turning once, until nicely browned, about 6 minutes.
While the burgers cook, in a small bowl, mash together the butter, shallot, garlic, tomato paste, parsley, Worcestershire and oregano with a fork.
Remove burgers from the skillet and tent loosely with folk to keep warm. To the skillet, stir in the vermouth over medium-high heat and scrape up any browned bits. Add the butter mixture and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Layer the mozzarella on the bottoms of the burger buns. Top with a burger and one-quarter of the butter-tomato mixture so it melts down over the meat and is soaked into the bun bottoms. Cover with the bun tops and serve.