Aired February 28, 2013
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken drummers, 4 thighs, 4 small pieces split breast
- Kosher salt
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- A few sprigs thyme and rosemary
- A few cloves crushed garlic
- For the 10-Flavor Flour:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons each granulated garlic, granulated onion and sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon each ground coriander, allspice, mustard, cayenne pepper or red pepper, and ground thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Frying oil
- Hot sauce and honey, to pass at table
One day before frying, toss chicken with kosher salt, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Place uncovered in fridge on bottom shelf overnight.
Rinse and dry chicken and bring to room temperature, 30-60 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350F. Place a baking sheet set with a wire rack insert near stovetop.
Combine flour and cornmeal with the spices in a shallow dish; place buttermilk in bowl.
Heat about 1 inch of frying oil in large, cast-iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat to about 360F.
Working with 4 pieces at a time, coat chicken in flour then buttermilk then flour again and fry to golden on each side; transfer to baking sheet. Once all of the chicken is brown and crispy, place in lower third of oven and roast 30 minutes to cook through. Serve with hot sauce and honey for topping and pass sides of your choice such as mashed potatoes or biscuits, oil-and-vinegar slaw salad or cooked greens.