Aired February 22, 2013
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coriander, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon paprika, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic, a palmful
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice, half a palmful
- About 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or ground red pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- About 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Olive oil spray
- 1 1/4 cups pearled barley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups Swiss cheese, grated, about 3/4 pound brick
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
Preheat oven to 450F.
In a mixing bowl, combine beef and pork with Kosher salt, spices, egg, breadcrumbs and parsley. Roll and arrange 2-inch meatballs on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake to lightly brown 10-12 minutes then remove.
Bring a medium pot of water to boil, salt water and cook barley to tender, 20 minutes, drain.
Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook to golden in color and sweet, 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
In a casserole, combine barley, onions and sauerkraut. Top with Swiss cheese and arrange meatballs in casserole. Cool and cover for make-ahead meal.
Combine sour cream with ketchup, relish, salt and pepper, and store in a plastic food storage bag.
Bring casserole to room temp. Bake at 350F until cheese is melted and casserole is hot through. Cut corner of baggie and drizzle dressing over casserole then serve.