Aired February 21, 2013
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 can of tomatoes with chilies (such as Rotel)
- 1 can black beans, lightly drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 9 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
In a skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Season the ground pork with salt and pepper, and brown. Add the onions, garlic and spices to the skillet with the meat and cook until the onion and garlic have sweated out a bit and spices are fragrant. Add the can of tomatoes and beans, and cook for about 5 more minutes.
To assemble lasagna, layer a third of the meat mixture down on the bottom of the a slow cooker pot, top with third of the cheese, then layer 3 corn tortillas on top. Repeat this layering method 2 more times, then place the lid on and cook, undisturbed, for 4 hours on high or 5 hours on low.
When you are ready to serve, garnish with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro to brighten up the flavor!