Originally aired February 21, 2013
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 2-pound boneless chuck roast, cut into 4 portions
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 sliced onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
Place the baby potatoes down into the bottom of a slow cooker.
In a skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Season the beef chucks with salt and pepper and brown on both sides, then place it into the slow cooker pot along with the potatoes. In the same skillet, brown up the mushrooms; add them to the pot with the meat. Using same skillet again, saut the onions, garlic and thyme until softened and fragrant. Remove to the pot with meat and mushrooms and top with the stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook undisturbed, for 4 hours high or 6-8 hours low.
In a small bowl, mix up the sour cream with the horseradish, chopped chive, salt and pepper; set aside.
Once beef is nice and tender, serve up each chunk with some of the braised mushrooms onions and potatoes, and top with a dollop of spicy horseradish sauce!