Originally aired February 6, 2013
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 10 large shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 pound farro or whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 bundle cavolo nero (also known as flat or black kale), stemmed and thinly sliced
- Grated Pecorino cheese
- Chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Flat leaf parsley, garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Melt butter in olive oil and add shallots and garlic; season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook until light caramel in color, 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Salt the boiling water. Cook pasta to al dente, adding the kale for the last 4 minutes of cook time. Add 1 cup starchy cooking water to shallots and garlic. Drain pasta and kale and toss with shallots. Adjust salt and pepper, toss in a couple handfuls of cheese and serve pasta garnished with nuts and parsley.