Aired January 28, 2013
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound lean smoky bacon
- 3 to 4 medium leeks, halved lengthwise, sliced 1-inch thick then washed and dried
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound penne rigate or whole grain penne
- Grated Pecorino cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the penne.
Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and crisp; add leeks, garlic, thyme and pepper. Saut 5-6 minutes then deglaze the pan with wine. Add tomatoes and cover pan. Cook tomatoes until they burst, 10-12 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
Salt boiling water and cook penne to al dente. Add a little starchy water to the sauce just before draining pasta. Toss pasta with sauce and cheese.